Psychosis, history of psychiatry, philosophy of medicine
Head of the Outpatient Clinic for Uncommon Psychiatric Syndromes, Parnassia Group, The Hague, the Netherlands
Deputy Director of the Psychiatric Residency Training Programme, Parnassia Group
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, University of Groningen, Groningen, the Netherlands
1. Lim A, Hoek HW, Blom JD (2015). The attribution of psychotic symptoms to jinn in Islamic patients. Transcultural Psychiatry, 52, 18-32.
2. Blom JD (2015). Auditory hallucinations. Handbook of Clinical Neurology, 129, 433-55.
3. Blom JD, Coebergh JAF, Lauw R, Sommer IEC (2015). Musical hallucinations treated with acetylcholinesterase inhibitors. Frontiers in Psychiatry, 6, 1-6.
4. Blom JD, Sommer IEC, Koops S, Sacks OW (2014). Prosopometamorphopsia and facial hallucinations. The Lancet, 384, 1998.
5. Blom JD, Poulina IT, van Gellecum TL, Hoek HW. Traditional healing practices originating in Aruba, Bonaire, and Curaçao: A review of the literature on psychiatry and Brua. Transcultural Psychiatry (in press).
6. Blom JD (2014). When doctors cry wolf. A systematic review of the literature on clinical lycanthropy. History of Psychiatry, 25, 87-102.
7. Van Lutterveld R, van den Heuvel MP, Diederen KM, de Weijer AD, Begemann MJ, Brouwer RM, Daalman K, Blom JD, Kahn, RS, Sommer IE (2014). Cortical thickness in individuals with non-clinical and clinical psychotic symptoms. Brain, 137, 2664-9.
8. Waters F, Collerton D, ffytche DH, Jardri R, Pins D, Dudley R, Blom JD, Mosimann UP, Eperjesi F, Ford S, Larøi F (2014). Visual hallucinations in the psychosis spectrum and comparative information from neurodegenerative disorders and eye disease. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 40, Suppl. 4, S233-45.
9. Slotema CW, Blom JD, van Lutterveld R, Hoek HW, Sommer IE (2014). Review of the efficacy of transcranial magnetic stimulation for auditory verbal hallucinations. Biological Psychiatry, 76, 101-10.
10. Blom JD (2013). What passes for reality. Brain, 136, 2323-5.
11. Looijestijn J, Diederen KMJ, Goekoop R, Sommer IEC, Daalman K, Kahn RS, Hoek HW, Blom JD (2013). The auditory dorsal stream plays a crucial role in projecting hallucinated voices into external space. Schizophrenia Research, 146, 314-9.
12. Sommer IEC, Koops S, Blom JD (2012). Comparison of auditory hallucinations across different disorders and syndromes. Neuropsychiatry, 2, 57-68.
13. Larøi F, Sommer IE, Blom JD, Fernyhough C, ffytche DH, Hugdahl K, Johns LC, McCarthy-Jones S, Preti A, Raballo A, Slotema CW, Stephane M, Waters F. (2012). The characteristic features of auditory verbal hallucinations in clinical and nonclinical groups: State-of-the-art overview and future directions. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 38, 724-33.
14. Sommer IEC, Slotema CW, Daskalakis J, Derks EM, Blom JD, Van der Gaag M (2012). The treatment of hallucinations in schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 38, 704-14.
15. Blom JD, Van Praag HM (2011). Schizophrenia: it’s broken and it can’t be fixed. A conceptual analysis at the centenary of Bleuler’s Dementia praecox oder Gruppe der Schizophrenien. Israeli Journal of Psychiatry, 48, 229-47.
16. Blom JD, Looijestijn J, Goekoop R, Diederen KMJ, Rijkaart A-M, Slotema CW, Sommer IEC (2011). Treatment of Alice in Wonderland syndrome and verbal auditory hallucinations using repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation. A case report with fMRI findings. Psychopathology, 44, 337-44.
17. Slotema CW, Blom JD, de Weijer AD, Diederen KM, Goekoop R, Looijestijn J, Daalman K, Rijkaart A-M, Kahn RS, Hoek HW, Sommer IEC (2011). Can low-frequency repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation really relieve medication-resistant auditory verbal hallucinations? Negative results from a large randomized controlled trial. Biological Psychiatry, 69, 450-6.
18. Blom JD, Sommer IEC (2010). Auditory hallucinations: nomenclature and classification. Cognitive and Behavioral Neurology, 23, 55-62.
19. ffytche DH, Blom JD, Catani M (2010). Disorders of visual perception. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry, 81, 1280-7.
Comment Wall (1 comment)
You need to be a member of The NeuroNetwork to add comments!
Jan Dirk Blom, MD, PhD Director of the Clinical Geriatric Residency Training Programme at Parnassia Bavo Group University of Groningen, Kiwistraat 45 2552 DH, The Hague, The Netherland
Dear Dr. Jan Dirk Blom:
We are presently in the process of editing one volume of the Handbook of Clinical Neurology entitled “The human auditory system: fundamental organization and clinical disorders”.
The volume will provide the ultimate reference source for academic clinical neurologists, neurophysiologists, otolaryngologists, audiologists and speech therapists, and serve as the primary reference for workers in all the fields of neuroscience. It will focus on both basic science and clinical advances including new and emerging concepts in the major areas of the auditory system. Each chapter will include critical discussion of foundational and new knowledge and, in the case of clinically oriented chapters, of prevalence, etiology, genetic, imaging, symptomatology and therapy.
It will be published by Elsevier.
The volume will be part of The Handbook of Clinical Neurology, 3rd Series edited by Michael Aminoff, University of California, San Francisco, François Boller, National Institute of Mental Health, Bethesda and Dick Swaab University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands
The proposed volume “The human auditory system: fundamental organization and clinical disorders” is edited by:
Gastone G. Celesia, MD, FAAN Loyola University of Chicago and Chicago Council on Science and Technology and
Gregory S. Heckok, PhD, Department of Cognitive Sciences University of California Irvine, CA.
We are enclosing the outline of the thirty-seven chapters.
The book must include recent concepts of auditory hallucinations
I would like to invite you to contribute chapter 24 on Auditory hallucinations and hallucinosis Your expertise on the subject is well known and deserved. We hope you will accept this task and I am looking forward to your contribution. We will be happy to directly discuss with you this proposal.
Feel free to add one or two collaborators to the chapter. The deadline for the manuscript is April 30, 2013.
Gastone G. Celesia, MD, FAAN Gregory S. Hickok, PhD